Flavorful Sugar Snap Peas
"Our family enjoys the first peas from our garden stir-fried as a crisp treat," notes Connie Moore of Medway, Ohio.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 pound fresh sugar snap or snow peas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and peas to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet; add the ham, garlic and
- thyme. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Drain peas; add to skillet and
- saute for 2 minutes or until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with lean ham) equals 53 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.