Flavorful Southwestern Chili
“This filling, hearty recipe comes from my grandmother,” writes Jenny Greear from Huntington, West Virginia. “It’s full of flavor, freezes beautifully and makes a complete, last-minute meal. I top it grated cheddar cheese and chopped black olives and serve tortilla chips on the side.”
JENNY’S TIP: “If I’m feeding a crowd, I increase the pinto beans to four cans to make the meat go farther.”
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is
- no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 245 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.