Flavorful Rice Salad Recipe
“I started with a basic bean, rice and onion medley and added veggies and a lighter dressing to make it healthier. You can substitute brown rice for the long grain if you like.” —Kim Cook, Dade City, Florida
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cold cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 4 medium)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, rice, tomatoes, onions, celery, spinach and cilantro. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 181 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 617 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC