Cheddar cheese and Thousand Island dressing make this moist and juicy burger from Dave Bremson of Plantation, Florida a real family treat. The amount of flavor this burger packs with just a few simple ingredients will really surprise you.
Featured In: 20 Slider Recipes
- 1 large onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 tablespoons prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomato
- Slice onion into 1/2-in.-thick rings; thread onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 8-10 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the green pepper, cheese, parsley and Worcestershire sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Move onion to indirect heat. Place burgers over direct heat. Cover and grill for 10-14 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender, turning burgers once.
- Spread bun bottoms with dressing; top each with lettuce, tomato, onion and a burger. Replace bun tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Flavorful Onion Burgers in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p46
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Flavorful Onion Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 7, 2011
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2009
"What a wonderful burger. Especially with Vadilia onions. Red onion are great as well."