Flavorful Onion Burgers Recipe
- 1 large onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 tablespoons prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomato
- Slice onion into 1/2-in.-thick rings; thread onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 8-10 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the green pepper, cheese, parsley and Worcestershire sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Move onion to indirect heat. Place burgers over direct heat. Cover and grill for 10-14 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender, turning burgers once.
- Spread bun bottoms with dressing; top each with lettuce, tomato, onion and a burger. Replace bun tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Flavorful Onion Burgers in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p46
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Flavorful Onion Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 7, 2011
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2009
"What a wonderful burger. Especially with Vadilia onions. Red onion are great as well."