Flavorful Mexican Corn Bread
This tasty corn bread is easy to mix up. I serve it often with a meal or hearty bowl of soup as an alternative to rolls. Cheddar cheese makes it specially flavorful, and the diced peppers add nice color.
—Esther Shank, Harrisonville, Virginia
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Whisk together
- the eggs, buttermilk, corn, oil, onion and green pepper. Stir into
- dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet or 9-in. square baking
- pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 236 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 523 mg sodium,