Flavorful Mexican Corn Bread Recipe
This tasty corn bread is easy to mix up. I serve it often with a meal or hearty bowl of soup as an alternative to rolls. Cheddar cheese makes it specially flavorful, and the diced peppers add nice color. —Esther Shank, Harrisonville, Virginia
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, corn, oil, onion and green pepper. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- 2. Pour into a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet or 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 236 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 523 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC