Flavorful Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 15 fresh baby carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chopped cabbage
- 3/4 cup cut fresh green beans
- 3 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, paprika, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 36 meatballs.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute the celery, carrots and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the white kidney beans, tomatoes, broth, cabbage, green beans and remaining Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- 4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in meatballs. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until green beans are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 254 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 748 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.