Rebecca Phipps shares a favorite entree soup from her kitchen in Rural Hall, North Carolina. “My husband and I are both diabetics and like to find tasty recipes like this one that are in line with our dietary requirements.” TASTY TIP Rebecca Phipps likes to serve her Meatball Soup with baked wheat tortilla triangles, fresh fruit and a variety of cubed cheeses to round out this meal.
Recommended: 40 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soup Recipes
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 15 fresh baby carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chopped cabbage
- 3/4 cup cut fresh green beans
- 3 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, paprika, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Shape into 36 meatballs.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute the celery, carrots and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the white kidney beans, tomatoes, broth, cabbage, green beans and remaining Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in meatballs. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until green beans are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p27
Reviews for Flavorful Meatball Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review