Flavorful Lemony Caesar Salad
In Huntington, Connecticut, Kathy Kochiss relies on a recipe from a friend to fix this tasty tossed salad. "To save time, I take advantage of convenient ready-to-serve romaine in a bag as well as garlic-seasoned croutons for extra flavor," she adds.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup salad croutons, optional
- Sliced red onion, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, salt
- if desired and pepper. In a salad bowl, combine romaine and cheese.
- Drizzle with dressing; add croutons and onion if desired. Toss to
- coat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup of salad with 1 tablespoon of dressing (prepared without salt and croutons) equals 146 calories, 79 mg sodium, 2 mg cholesterol, 2 mg carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 15 gm fat, 1 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 1 vegetable.