"I first tasted a soup similar to this at a restaurant. They wouldn't give me the recipe, so I went home and created my own," recalls Shirley Taylor of Russiaville, Indiana. "I like to serve this spicy soup with biscuits, breadsticks or corn bread."
Recommended: 40 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soup Recipes
- 1 Italian sausage link, casing removed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup canned sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Dash celery seed
- Dash garlic salt
- 1/3 cup broken uncooked spaghetti (2-inch pieces)
- Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain. Add the broth, water vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add spaghetti. Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes longer or until spaghetti and vegetables are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Flavorful Italian Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2005, p46
Reviews for Flavorful Italian Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2011
"my daughter even liked it-and she's picky!"
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2009
"I tried this recipe last year and my family loved it. I omitted the mushrooms and pasta. I plan on making it this year too. This time I will use hot italian sausage for more spice."