Flavorful French Onion Soup Recipe
To complement the standing rib roast, our Test Kitchen home economists created this satisfying soup. Serve it as a first course to get mouths' watering!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours YIELD:11 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup A.1. steak sauce
- HOMEMADE CROUTONS:
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add the onions, brown sugar and pepper; cook over low heat until onion are lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- 2. Sprinkle onions with flour; stir to blend. Gradually stir in broth. Add wine and steak sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with oil and butter. Combine oregano, basil, salt and pepper; sprinkle over bread and toss to coat.
- 4. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish soup with croutons and cheese. Yield: 11 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC