Flavorful French Onion Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup A.1. steak sauce
- HOMEMADE CROUTONS:
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add the onions, brown sugar and pepper; cook over low heat until onion are lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle onions with flour; stir to blend. Gradually stir in broth. Add wine and steak sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss bread cubes with oil and butter. Combine the oregano, basil, salt and pepper; sprinkle over bread and toss to coat.
- Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish soup with croutons and cheese. Yield: 11 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Flavorful French Onion Soup(3)
Sort By :
Incredible! It took awhile to make because of the cooking times for the onions, but you could leave it, and I think it was totally worth it. Full of flavour, and the croutons are so good that I use them for lots of other things too.
I'm not really into onions.. however, this recipe was very flavorful, just like the name suggests. I wanted to try out something different since my folks were visiting. Mom loved it.. dad resisted since he's not into the onions like me... but I will definitely make this again!