Flavorful Cream of Carrot Soup Recipe
"Packed with vitamin-rich ingredients, this soup is both beautiful and delicious," assures LaVonne Hegland of St. Michael, Minnesota.
- 6 to 8 medium carrots (1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1. Place carrots, potatoes and water in a saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. In a skillet, saute onions and garlic in butter for 10 minutes. Add flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Place carrots, potatoes, onion mixture, salt and sugar in a blender or food processor; cover and puree until smooth, adding reserved cooking liquid as needed. Pour into a 3-qt. saucepan or Dutch oven. Stir in milk and heat through. Add cream and cayenne; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with paprika. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 204 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 518 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC