Flavorful Cranberry Rice Salad Recipe
I came up with the recipe because I wanted something different to take to picnics beside potato or macaroni salad. It goes great with grilled chicken or fish.—Jennifer Addotta, New Freedom, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Cook long grain rice and brown rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; cool. Add the celery, onion and cranberries.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, parsley, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir into rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 3. Just before serving, stir in almonds and sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 191 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 267 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC