Flavorful Corn Chowder Recipe
- 6 ears fresh corn (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1 small onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Additional pepper, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- Cut corn off cob. Rub the edge of a knife over each cob to "milk" it; add enough milk to cob juice to equal 1 cup. Set corn and liquid aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper, celery and jalapeno in oil until soft. Add the tomatoes, potatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, sugar and allspice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; add the cream, reserved corn and milk mixture. Simmer for 30-40 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with the parsley, pepper and bacon if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Corn Chowder in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p27
Reviews for Flavorful Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review