Flavorful Chicken Salad Sandwiches
At least a triple batch of my chicken salad is needed to satisfy hungry relatives at our summer family reunion. It's the most requested recipe I make. This salad is so versatile, it can be scooped onto a bed of lettuce or stuffed into a pita.
10 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + marinating Cook: 10 min.
- 3 cups pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup each chopped green pepper, red onion and celery
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 10 lettuce leaves
- 10 sandwich rolls, split
- In a small bowl, combine pineapple juice and soy sauce. Pour 1-1/2
- cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and
- turn to coat; refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large saucepan, combine
- the chicken, water and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a meat thermometer
- reads 170°. Drain; cool slightly. Shred chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, green pepper, onion and celery.