Flavorful Catfish Fillets Recipe
"This is the best catfish ever!" applauds Ellen De Munnik of Chesterfield, Michigan. "It's fast to prepare...and the cayenne adds a little zip," Her golden cornmeal and herb coating keeps the fillets moist and gives them traditional appeal without the fat that comes from frying.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon each salt, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound catfish fillets
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, whisk buttermilk and mustard until smooth. In another bowl, combine the cornmeal and seasonings. Dip fillets into buttermilk mixture, then into cornmeal mixture.
- Place 1 in. apart on a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Place rack on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with lemon if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Flavorful Catfish Fillets in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p12
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Flavorful Catfish Fillets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 20, 2014
"Good flavor - very easy to throw together"