Flavorful Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine,apple juice or water
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 package (6 ounces) frozen pea pods, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, undrained
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce and wine, apple juice or water until smooth; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, stir-fry the broccoli, carrots, pea pods and onion in 1 tablespoon oil for 1 minute. Stir in water chestnuts. Cover and simmer for 4 minutes; remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, stir-fry beef in remaining oil until meat reaches desired doneness. Return vegetables to pan; toss. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with light soy sauce and water; calculated without rice) equals 313 calories, 466 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol, 21 gm carbohydrate, 31 gm protein, 12 gm fat, 7 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.