Flavorful Beef Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 4-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, onion and celery.
- 2. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Place over vegetable mixture.
- 3. Combine the broth, teriyaki sauce, garlic and bay leaf; pour over beef.
- 4. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 202 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 745 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.