Flavorful Beef Brisket
A memorable part of my wedding day was the supper my mom prepared. This moist fork-tender brisket is a popular entree hearty appetites appreciate.
16-18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours + chilling
- 1 beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil on both sides over medium-high
- heat; drain. Top with onion, salt and pepper. Add water; cover and
- bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Remove beef. Cool for 5 minutes; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Discard onion and cooking liquid. Slice meat 1/4 in. thick across the
- grain; place in a roasting pan. Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Cover
- and bake at 325° for 30-45 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 16-18 servings.
Editor’s Note: Refrigerating the beef overnight makes it possible to slice it very thinly.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 197 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.