“For best results, I always serve this lean and tasty flank steak rare. Deglaze the pan with wine, making sure to scrape up all the savory browned bits with a wooden spoon,” says Warner Beatty of Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Recommended: 95 Tasty Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1/4 cup grape juice and 3/4 cup additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb; brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; mash and set aside.
- Sprinkle steak with pepper and salt. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook steak over medium-high heat in remaining oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium; add 1 tablespoon butter. Cook steak 4-8 minutes longer on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove and keep warm.
- Gradually add broth and wine to the pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Stir in mashed garlic. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half.
- Strain sauce and return to pan; stir in remaining butter until melted. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Sprinkle with onions; serve with sauce. Yield: 6 servings (3/4 cup sauce).
Originally published as Flank Steak with Wine Sauce in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p23
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Flank Steak with Wine Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2013
"This was very delicious! I loved the roasted garlic flavor."
Reviewed Nov. 16, 2012
"This was delicious & full of flavor.~ Theresa"