Flank Steak with Cranberry Chimichurri Recipe
- 1 medium papaya
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (2 pounds)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. Peel and cube papaya, reserving seeds; place papaya and seeds in a food processor. Add the onion, cumin and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. For chimichurri, place the cilantro, parsley, cranberries, shallot, vinegar, paprika, garlic, oregano, lime peel, brown sugar, salt and pepper flakes in a clean food processor. While processing, gradually add oil and water in a steady stream. Refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Drain beef and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 4. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting steak thinly across the grain. Serve with chimichurri. Yield: 8 servings (1 cup chimichurri).
3 ounces cooked beef with 2 tablespoons chimichurri: 293 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Flank Steak with Cranberry Chimichurri
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.