Flank Steak Spinach Salad Recipe
Moist marinated steak, wild rice, almonds and veggies blend together nicely in this colorful main-dish salad. Years ago, a friend gave me the idea for this recipe, and with some tweaking, it's become a favorite of ours. -Freddie Johnson, San Antonio, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min. + standing YIELD:16 servings
- 4 beef flank steaks (about 1 pound each)
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 package (2-1/2 ounces) slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Place steaks in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag; add 3/4 cup salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight. Prepare the rice according to package directions. In a bowl, combine rice with 1/2 cup salad dressing. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade from steaks. Grill steaks, uncovered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain; cool to room temperature.
- 3. To serve, arrange spinach on a large platter. Top with the rice, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes and steak. Sprinkle with almonds; drizzle with remaining salad dressing. Yield: 16 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC