Flank Steak Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 French rolls, split
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the onion, wine, soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic, mustard and ginger. Pour 1-3/4 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Pour remaining marinade into another resealable plastic bag; add the peppers and onion. Seal bags and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade from steak. Using long-handled tongs, dip a paper towel in cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. Drain and discard marinade from vegetables. Place in a grill basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 9-11 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the pepper, and remaining oil and garlic; brush over cut sides of rolls. Place cut side down on grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. Thinly slice steak across the grain; place on bun bottoms. Top with vegetables and bun tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich equals 479 calories, 23 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 933 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.