“My sister and I found this recipe 15 years ago, changed a few ingredients and made it our own," recalls Elizabeth Hiner of Chico, California. "Now, when family and friends hear we're making these sandwiches, they come running! It's a quick, healthy crowd-pleaser that goes great with summer.”
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 French rolls, split
- In a small bowl, combine the onion, wine, soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic, mustard and ginger. Pour 1-3/4 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Pour remaining marinade into another resealable plastic bag; add the peppers and onion. Seal bags and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Using long-handled tongs, dip a paper towel in cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Drain and discard marinade from vegetables. Place in a grill basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 9-11 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, combine the pepper, and remaining oil and garlic; brush over cut sides of rolls. Place cut side down on grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain; place on bun bottoms. Top with vegetables and bun tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Flank Steak Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008, p35
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Flank Steak Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review