Flaky Whole Wheat Biscuits
Whole wheat flour gives these biscuits a nutty, homey flavor. Ever since I started making these, white flour biscuits just don't taste as good! Pair them with soup or slather them with whipped cream and sweetened berries for a dessert treat. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until
- moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in.
- biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10
Nutritional Facts: 1 biscuit equals 144 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 417 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.