Flaky Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the sweet potato, milk and honey just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-8 times. Pat out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter.
- 2. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 17 biscuits.
1 each: 120 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1 fat
Reviews for Flaky Sweet Potato Biscuits
"Kids loved them even though they don't like sweet potatoes."
"Delicious. I could have eaten the whole batch. First time I've ever made any type of homemade biscuit."
"I have made these a few times and they are delicious. I often interchange the sweet potatoes for squash or pumpkin with equally good results."
"Wow! These were very tasty, easy and moist! My teenage daughter loved them! Thanks for sharing!"
"Is sounds great."
"These were delicious! My son kept asking for the yellow rolls! :D"
"Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! These were so yummy. I served them for a special occasion and everyone wanted the recipe."
"These were very good. I halved the recipe and got 8 buiscuits out of it. There is not an overpowering sweet potato flavor, so if you are looking for one, this is not the recipe to use."
"I made this with Roasted chicken that was basted in an orange sauce. I added some orange zest to the biscuits and it complemented the meal perfectly."