Phyllo dough adds a touch of elegance and layers of super flaky, buttery crispness to this company-special breakfast bake.—Crystal Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 large eggs, divided use
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Havarti cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 30 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Return sausage mixture to skillet. Whisk five eggs; add to skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until set; stir in Havarti cheese. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil and remaining egg. Brush a 13x9-in. baking pan with butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer 10 sheets in prepared pan, brushing each sheet with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Top with half of the sausage mixture.
- Layer with 10 additional phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter; spread with ricotta mixture. Layer with five phyllo sheets, brushing again with butter; top with remaining sausage mixture. Layer with remaining phyllo and butter. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 rectangles. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Flaky Egg Bake in Taste of Home October 2011, p63
Reviews for Flaky Egg Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review