Flaky Egg Bake Recipe
Phyllo dough adds a touch of elegance and layers of super flaky, buttery crispness to this company-special breakfast bake.—Crystal Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + freezing Bake: 40 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 3/4 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 eggs, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Havarti cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 30 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Return sausage mixture to skillet. Whisk 5 eggs; add to skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until set; stir in Havarti cheese. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil and remaining egg. Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- 3. Layer 10 sheets in prepared pan, brushing each sheet with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Top with half of the sausage mixture.
- 4. Layer with 10 additional phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter; spread with ricotta mixture. Layer with five phyllo sheets, brushing again with butter; top with remaining sausage mixture. Layer with remaining phyllo and butter. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 rectangles. Cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 484 calories, 30 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 183 mg cholesterol, 671 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC