- 8 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup warm half-and-half cream (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, cream 6 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons flour. Spread into an 8-in. x 4-in. rectangle on a piece on waxed paper. Cover with waxed paper; refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cream, sugar, salt and egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Roll into an 8-in. square. Remove top sheet of waxed paper from butter mixture; invert onto center of dough. Peel off waxed paper. Fold plain dough over butter layer. Fold widthwise into thirds. Roll out into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Fold into thirds. Repeat rolling and folding twice. Wrap in waxed paper; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 24-in. x 5-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat almond paste and remaining butter; beat until smooth. Spread lengthwise down the center of dough. Fold dough over filling to cover; pinch to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Shape into a pretzel. Flatten lightly with a rolling pin. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Brush egg white over dough. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs and almonds. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Danish Kringle in Best of Country Breads 2000, p75
Reviews for Flaky Danish Kringle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review