Five-Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry broccoli in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add squash, zucchini, red pepper, onion and garlic; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine broth, cornstarch, sugar, ginger, salt if desired and cayenne; stir until smooth. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and without salt; calculated without rice) equals 82 calories, 31 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 10 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 5 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 fat.