This just about the only way my husband will eat onions. I received the recipe from a friend many years ago. Vary the vegetables depending on what you have in your garden. --Rose Mueller, Independence, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 cups each diced carrots, celery and onion
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes and rutabagas
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, combine the vegetables; mix well. Crumble beef over
- mixture and toss gently. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- In a bowl, combine soup, water, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetable
- mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Rutabagas are available year-round, but fall and winter are the peak seasons. Buy small (3-4 inches in diameter) rutabagas that feel firm and have smooth skin. Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to 1 month.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 154 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.