Five-Topping Bread Recipe
I love making bread, and you can't go wrong with this recipe. These tender, golden brown loaves have a great combination of seasonings on top that make them go well with pretty much any meal or sliced for sandwiches. —Traci Wynne, Denver, Pennsylvania
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon each poppy seeds, sesame seeds and caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, egg yolk, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two round loaves. Place each on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Beat egg white and water; brush over loaves.
- 4. Combine the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, onion and remaining salt; sprinkle over loaves. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (10 wedges each).
1 slice equals 134 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 269 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC