- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until blended. Beat in butter and shortening until smooth. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in nuts if desired.
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil; pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Using foil, lift brownies out of pan. Discard foil. Cut brownies with a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter or into bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Five Star Brownies
"These are rich and chocolatey. They have a nice, moist fudgey texture. I let mine bake for only about 25 minutes, as the toothpick came out clean on mine at that amount of time. I did add mini m&m's to the top of mine after my kids requested to add some."
"Absolutely delicious brownies, best homemade recipe I've found yet! I even make them gluten free for my brother's & they still turn out good!"
"These turn out perfectly every time. Have not used another recipe in about 15 years after finding this one."
"I've made these two times. There are never any leftovers!"