Five Star Brownies
Meet the Cook: There's a bit of my state's history behind these brownies' name and shape.
In 1990, when I entered them at our state fair, Kansas was celebrating the 100th birthday of a famous native son...Dwight Eisenhower. In fact, that occasion was the theme of the fair. So I renamed my brownies, which had won the blue ribbon 4 straight years at our county fair, in honor of the rank he'd ac
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until blended. Beat
- in butter and shortening until smooth. Combine the flour, cocoa and
- salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in nuts if desired.
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil; pour
- batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a
- wire rack.
- Using foil, lift brownies out of pan. Discard foil. Cut with a star
- cutter or into bars. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 108 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 113 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.