Five-Fruit Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup each fresh or frozen raspberries, blueberries and sliced strawberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, tapioca and fruit; let stand for 15 minutes. In another bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Spoon fruit mixture into crust.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush with cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 434 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Five-Fruit Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.