Five-Cheese Macaroni with Prosciutto Bits Recipe
Macaroni is baked with smoked Gouda, Swiss, white cheddar, goat cheese and Parmesan and topped with crispy prosciutto – so worth it! — Mya Zeronis, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:20 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 5 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in wine. Add cream, pepper and salt; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add goat cheese; stir gently until melted. Gradually stir in the remaining cheeses; cook until melted. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, cook prosciutto over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Sprinkle over macaroni just before serving. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/4 cups each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC