I prepared this for a Cub Scout banquet. It was easy since there was nothing to do at the last minute but cut and serve. It was a big success.—Todd Newman, La Porte, Texas
- 6 packages (16 ounces each) lasagna noodles
- 10 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 10 medium onions, chopped
- 30 garlic cloves, minced
- 11 cans (29 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup dried basil
- 3 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 6 cartons (32 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 10 pounds shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 cartons (8 ounces each) grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 blocks (5 ounces each) Romano cheese, grated
- 10 packages (6 ounces each) sliced provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a stockpot, cook noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes; rinse in cold water and drain.
- In several large skillets, cook sausage onions until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes.
- Grease ten 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. In each dish, layer with about 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, four noodles, about 1-1/4 cups ricotta, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, about 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup Romano and three slices provolone. Repeat layers. Top with four noodles, about 1-1/2 cups of tomato sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and about 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving. Yield: 120-150 servings.
Originally published as Five-Cheese Lasagna in Taste of Home April/May 1999, p54
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Five-Cheese Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 3, 2009
"Made this for my daughters wedding in 7/08, I am still getting compliments to this date."