- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook shells according to package directions for al dente; drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat. In a bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, provolone and Romano cheeses; stir in egg, seasonings and vegetables.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Fill pasta shells with cheese mixture; place in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Five-Cheese Jumbo Shells
"I would ditch the zucchini and the mushrooms but other than that, it sounds pretty good."
"quick and easy, really like the added vegetables in the filling. froze half for another time. used my own marinara sauce from the tomatoes in my garden."
"Great meatless meal and easy for a non-cook to prepare!"
"I made this dish for my husband and he LOVED !!!"
"This is sooo good and simple to make. Will be making again."
"This was a great recipe. It was great because I could freeze the extras. Also I would add more seasoning to the veggies. But other than that it was light and hearty at the same time."
"Great flavor & easy to make!! Nice way to use garden zucchini!"
"fantastic! Love the veggies with the cheese. whole family loved it!"
"I used small shells, added grated carrot and some very finely chopped red bell pepper to include even more veggies. I always make my own sauce as we prefer the flavor. Will make this dish again."