Five-Cheese Jumbo Shells Recipe
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook shells according to package directions for al dente; drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat. In a bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, provolone and Romano cheeses; stir in egg, seasonings and vegetables.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Fill pasta shells with cheese mixture; place in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Five-Cheese Jumbo Shells
Sort By :
I would ditch the zucchini and the mushrooms but other than that, it sounds pretty good.
quick and easy, really like the added vegetables in the filling. froze half for another time. used my own marinara sauce from the tomatoes in my garden.
Great meatless meal and easy for a non-cook to prepare!
I made this dish for my husband and he LOVED !!!