Five-Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 15 servings.
2/3 cup: 161 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Five-Bean Salad
"Only rating low because I haven't made this recipe. My go-to calls for 5 of any kind of beans except baked beans, and includes 1/2c vinegar,1/4c. oil,1/3c. sugar,2 tbs. parlsey flakes,1tbs. each basil and tarragon.It's a recipe from a friend when we were based in Quebec way back in the early 60s. Been a family favourite since."