- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onions, garlic and ginger until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in onion mixture and bacon. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; stir. Bake, uncovered, 15-30 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Fit-For-A-King Baked Beans in Country Woman January/February 2000, p40
Reviews for Fit-For-A-King Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2007
The mild salsa sauce made a delightful balance between sweet and spicy-not overpowering and absolutely awesome.