- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onions, garlic and ginger until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in onion mixture and bacon. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; stir. Bake, uncovered, 15-30 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Fit-For-A-King Baked Beans in Country Woman January/February 2000, p40
Reviews for Fit-For-A-King Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2007
"The mild salsa sauce made a delightful balance between sweet and spicy-not overpowering and absolutely awesome."