Fisherman's Crispy Coating
My father, Garfield Freih, is an avid fisherman and frequently acts as the chef on fishing trips he takes with his buddies. To please that group - and to get us kids to eat fish at home - he created this pleasantly mild crispy coating.
-Tammi Freih, Lakewood, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal, crushed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 walleye or other whitefish fillets (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. In a large
- resealable plastic bag, combine the cereal, flour, cornmeal and
- seasonings. Dip the fish fillets into egg mixture, then coat with
- cereal mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium-high heat. Fry
- the fillets for 5-7 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily
- with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.