Fisherman's Crispy Coating Recipe
My father, Garfield Freih, is an avid fisherman and frequently acts as the chef on fishing trips he takes with his buddies. To please that group - and to get us kids to eat fish at home - he created this pleasantly mild crispy coating. -Tammi Freih, Lakewood, California
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal, crushed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 walleye or other whitefish fillets (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the cereal, flour, cornmeal and seasonings. Dip the fish fillets into egg mixture, then coat with cereal mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium-high heat. Fry the fillets for 5-7 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Fisherman's Crispy Coating in Taste of Home February/March 2002, p27
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Fisherman's Crispy Coating(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 30, 2012
A simple, good coating for any fish. Easy to tailor to individual tastes (I added cayenne pepper instead of lemon-pepper).
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fish Recipes >
- Grilled Fish >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Seafood Recipes >
- Sauces & Toppings Recipes >