When Margaret detailed how she garnishes her deliciously different cake with slices of citrus from the trees around her Southwestern home, our crafty cooks were hooked.—Margaret Pache, Mesa, Arizona
12 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Red, yellow, green and blue liquid food coloring
- 2 black jelly beans
- 9 slices fresh lemon
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Prepare cake batter according package directions, replacing 1/2 cup
- water with milk. Add 1 teaspoon lemon peel and extract. Pour batter
- into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Prepare pudding according to package directions; add remaining lemon
- peel. Cut cakes into large and small fish. Cut each fish in half
- horizontally; spread pudding on bottom layers and replace tops.
- Place fish on a large platter or covered board (about 16-in. x
- 22-in.) Combine the whipped topping and confectioners' sugar; set 1