First-Prize Doughnuts Recipe
"One year I entered 18 different baked goods in the county fair and all of them won a ribbon. Here is my favorite prize-winning doughnut recipe. I have been making doughnuts since I was a bride 58 years ago!" —Betty B. Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:20 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- Colored sprinkles and/or assorted breakfast cereals
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- 5. In a shallow bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and water until smooth. Dip warm doughnuts in glaze; decorate as desired with sprinkles and/or cereals. Yield: 20 doughnuts.
1 doughnut equals 270 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC