First-Prize Doughnuts Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- Colored sprinkles and/or assorted breakfast cereals
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and water until smooth. Dip warm doughnuts in glaze; decorate as desired with sprinkles and/or cereals. Yield: 20 doughnuts.
Reviews for First-Prize Doughnuts(10)
Sort By :
I have tried making donuts many times before and found some okay recipes. But by far this one was the best. They are a little more time consuming as they are a yeast donut, but they are so worth it. Much better than the other donut recipes I have tried. Really good with a maple glaze too, mmmm! :)
Served these for a Moms Night Out in the form of doughnut holes! Never saw a plate be emptied so fast! Yummaroo as m four year old would say.
these were actually pretty easy, and i had so much fun making them!!! YUMMY-NESS
Can I use a bread machine to begin process?
These might have been greasy because you didn't have your oil hot enough. Mine were not greasy at all.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Brunch Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Doughnuts >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Breakfast Recipes >