An aromatic blend of spices flavor this superb wine-based beverage. It is served warmed and it's sweet fruity taste will warm you to your toes. This traditional Scandinavian recipe is serve during the holidays.—Sue Brown, West Bend, Wisconsin
- 4 cups port wine or apple cider, divided
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 orange peel strips (3 inches)
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 5 slices fresh peeled gingerroot
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a large saucepan, combine 3 cups wine, cranberries, brown sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Mash slightly and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Strain and discard pulp, orange peel and spices. Return mixture to pan; stir in the cider, almonds, raisins and remaining wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Fireside Glogg in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p72
Reviews for Fireside Glogg
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review