Fireside Beef Stew
This stew is perfect for warming up on a wintry day. It is a good dish to make when you're busy, since it's quick to prepare and doesn't need attention while cooking. Instead of noodles, I often serve it with rice.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast or top round steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup dry cream of rice cereal
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a medium Dutch oven or 3-qt. casserole, toss meat with browning
- sauce. Mix in cereal. Add all remaining ingredients except noodles.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat and
- vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with beef broth and no added salt) equals 199 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat,