- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast or top round steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup dry cream of rice cereal
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a medium Dutch oven or 3-qt. casserole, toss meat with browning sauce. Mix in cereal. Add all remaining ingredients except noodles.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fireside Beef Stew in Country December/January 1992, p47
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Fireside Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 2, 2014
"I thought this recipe was really easy and so tasty."
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2011
"This is easy and great for company"