- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast or top round steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup dry cream of rice cereal
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a medium Dutch oven or 3-qt. casserole, toss meat with browning sauce. Mix in cereal. Add all remaining ingredients except noodles.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fireside Beef Stew in Country December/January 1992, p47
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Fireside Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 2, 2014
"I thought this recipe was really easy and so tasty."
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2011
"This is easy and great for company"